Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I don't really have much to say today. I went to the gym (thank goodness for the gym.)

Then I went to the National Art Gallery. My absolutely favorite Smithsonian. I am in AWE every time I go.

I have taken so many pictures of the the marble statues. As I said before I am not an artist, I lean more toward science (although I wouldn't call myself a scientist.) This art absolutely moves me.


This is a close up of only one of the statues that live in the National Art Gallery -- Smithsonian. I saw Rembrandt, De Vinci, an artist I had never heard of, Simon Vouet. St. Jerome and the Angel. The hands entranced me. It was incredible. Please google it.

My question is this: How do you make something as hard as marble look so soft and so gossamer-like? I can see her patella, her umbilicus, mons pubis. But she's made of marble. How can you see that she is wearing clothing so sheer that it may be transparent? With a marble medium? In a time when there were no hydraulic tools. How did De Vinci make the veil on the Mona Lisa? How do artists paint a crystal wine decanter on canvas? It amazed me. It was transparent but filled with wine. I could see the table and wall through the decanter, but I could tell it was there. How do they do that? How can you see her hair through the veil, but I know its there. How do they do that? I have no words.


No comments:

Post a Comment