Monday, July 12, 2010

DC day 20


Before I start I just want to say....LOOK AT MY NEW SANDALS. Kenneth Cole. Just remember I walked around in these all day. I was SO pretty! =0) Well, at least my feet were.

Went to the gym (well, right after I scrubbed the bathtub) and ran for 25 minutes (medical issue occurred) then rode the bike for 30 minutes.











Due to other stress inducing issues I HAD to get out of the apartment. I walked North. And I walked and I walked and I walked. Luckily, I had on really cute shoes. I was wishing I had a place and a friend in DC to have a small glass of wine with. I had to remind myself, I'm living the life.....remember? Isn't this a beautiful place? It looks deserted in this picture, but there were a gazillion people there. I was walking toward the Lincoln Memorial from the Washington Monument. The reflecting pool is to my left.

I moved to the paved path to text my friend that I need to meet for a drink, but sadly all my friends are in an area code where someone went crazy today and killed 6 people and wounded 4. Does domestic violence = insane? Anyway....I went to the paved path to get out of the way of others walking on the dirt path to text a friend.



As you can see there were geese everywhere. Not only were there geese everywhere, what comes along with geese? Goose SHIT. Yes, it was everywhere.
I was happy to take this picture of the geese in the water. The reflecting pool. There were ducks with little teeny chicks. I thought I was taking a picture of all of the Canadian Geese. If I can direct your attention to the small bit of concrete that surrounds the reflecting pool. OHMYGOSH! Can you say POO?? It was everywhere.


Then I continued North toward the Lincoln memorial. You can see it was cloudy and humid and beautiful.



The previous picture was the view of the Lincoln, then I turned 180 degrees and this is the view from the steps of the Lincoln memorial. Its a beautiful, awe inspiring city.


It was windy and it started to sprinkle. I felt so special that I was able to be walking in our Nation's capital getting rained on in my pretty new shoes. I know that I am living in the life. I'm so very lucky.

Then I walked to the Korean Memorial. I don't know if its my favorite memorial because my dad fought in the Korean war, but it IS my favorite. No matter the season, it feels like the soldiers are walking into a storm. I have pictures of this memorial in the summer, spring and covered in snow. It is a touch of tension with a splash of secrecy and stealth. I was wondering if, in 1000 years, an archeologist digs up this memorial, if the news stories will sound like what was said about the Terra Cotta Warriors. Their clothing was different and no one face was like another. Every statue was different than every other one. Sure, the terra cotta's had 8000 vs the 20 (approximation) that are immortalized at the Korean war Memorial. The faces of the soldiers of the memorial still make me want to stay for hours just to look at the faces and body language of the men. It stirs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment