Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July, Everyone! I gotta say that there is nothing like being in Washington, DC for the 4th of July. The day started with a parade down Constitution Ave. There were Marching bands from all over the country. From Florida to Seattle, WA. North Carolina to Minnesota.

The day was blazing hot sitting on the curb in the sun. When we first got to Constitution outside the Archives building the crowd was three deep. I am so short that it was hard to see over the crowd. But in a very little while, probably because it was so freaking hot, I was sitting on the curb. The Archives were giving out these cardboard fans attached to what looks like a Popsicle stick. I never saw
who was handing them out, but everyone around me seemed to have one. As I made
may way up to the curb and sat down, I saw one in the gutter. I admit that I got so hot I grabbed it and started
using it.

The poor kids in the marching bands. Their band uniforms were mostly dark colors and long sleeve polyester. I was dying in my jean skirt and pink t-shirt. I can't imagine how horrible it must have been for those kids. I guess the thrill of marching in the DC parade kept them going. They were all playing patriotic songs and it was so fun to imagine how excited they were to be there.

But I have to say that I was surprised by the stupid things that were in the parade as well. I guess, no matter what city you are in, watching a 4th parade, there are always going to be the stupid acts. My favorite, stupid act, was the super hero roller skaters. The most stupid thing I have ever seen. Grown men dressed in puffy super hero costumes, roller skating. Flash, bat
man and robin, iron man. There was a guy in a black and white checker suit, an
d a vampire guy in a torn shirt and pants. ????? What the What?



Next on our agenda was to see the fireworks over the Washington Monument. There were several different concerts going on from which to choose. One at the Capitol building, one at the Washington monument and I think, one at the Lincoln.

We chose the Capitol. We knew we had to get there early as they were expecting a few people. We chose to get there early so we could get a good vantage point. If we chose to see the concert, we wouldn't have been able to see the fireworks b/c the tent would have been in the way. So we got there early and sat in the hot sun again. And they were right, a few people did show up. It was shoulder to shoulder again. But when the sun when down, it was so beautiful and comfortable.



Jimmy Smits was the MC. David Archuleta, Gladys Knight, Reba McIntyre, and some othe
rs sang. Then when the sun went down and the fireworks went off. Reba McIntyre was singing "God Bless America." It was so beautiful and touching, words cannot describe how it feels. I got a little choked up it was so wonderful. Completely worth the wait in the sun all afternoon.

I tried to take a picture of the fireworks, but it was too far away and too dark. But I hope you can get a small idea of what we watched. The fireworks went on and on and on. It was spectacular. Then it was over. The amount of people that were leaving this small space (its only 3 miles if I run the entire mall) was incredible. There were people everywhere. The metro stop by the apartment was so crazy. The Archive metro stop is huge, but people were unable to even get down the escalator. There were probably a couple hundred people standing at the top of the escalator. Thank goodness, were are able to just walk home and not have to get on the Metro. I thought it was crazy before the Nat's game!!!

I couldn't shower soon enough or long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment