Sunday, July 18, 2010

DC day 25 and 26

So, I'm going to work my way backwards. Today was Sunday. Laundry day! My absolute favorite. Anyone who knows me, knows that I ABSOLUTELY hate Laundry. It is the bane of my existence. How do I really feel? So when Randy suggested that we get up early, instead, and try to do the Holocaust Museum again, instead! What do you think I would have said??.....Heck ya!!!

So we got up early (8:30) and we were both ready and out the door by 9:30. The Smithsonian museums open at 10:00 on Sundays (well, everyday, but on Sunday's they open at 10:00). I figured out on the way that the reason that the Holocaust Museum was designed the way it was (I believe with all my being that it was designed to be shoulder to shoulder crowded) was to give you the sense of being on the trains heading toward Auschwitz. Its uncomfortable, and I will admit, since I don't have to do it, I choose not to.**see earlier blog** We arrived at the Holocaust museum at 9:50 and saw that there were two lines. One had signage stating that those who belonged to a "group" should form a line starting there. Since we were unbelonging to a group, we continued to the line that was forming at the front door that was almost to the street. We were quickly intercepted by a woman who kindly asked if we had already purchased "our tickets"???? Tickets? All Smithsonian Museums are free??? right? Well, yes, but if you pre purchased your "free ticket" for $1.00 you could stand in the line that was almost to the street. If not, (which included us! sadly, we had not pre purchased our free tickets for $1.00 b/c we thought all Smithsonian Museums were free!) we were kindly asked to please move to the line with the sign that said it was reserved for "groups." I guess by groups, they meant "LOSERS" b/c you were too stupid to purchase your FREE TICKET. We looked at the loser line and, seriously folks, it wrapped the building. WRAPPED THE BUILDING!!! We were in a large group of losers!!! Well, I wasn't going to get in the loser line that wrapped the building, so we said to hell with you and we left. I would never say I told you so....... Its a very popular museum. It's a very moving/ beautiful museum. It's always crowded.

I encourage anyone to "google earth" the Holocaust Museum. It's gynormous. To wrap the building is quite a number of losers.

















Then we went to the Corner Bakery, which was not a bakery of any sort! It was a restaurant. Face it. We were disappointed. But, look how beautiful this building is! DC is a beautiful city. Beautiful Architecture and WAY too hot and WAY too many stupid tourists in the summer. Damn Tourists! =0)

Yesterday was my absolutely FAVORITE day so far. It was Saturday. (Eastern Market day for those of you who are NEW!!). Went to eastern market yesterday. BUT, before we head to Eastern Market, what do we do??? That's right, BRUNCH! We went to the best place so far. Matchbox. (and yes, they do have cute little matchboxes that say "matchbox." ) We had a phantasmagoric breakfast.

I found my new favorite neighborhood. The neighborhood to the south of the Eastern Market is so cute. Its called Capitol Hill or Barracks Row, or something like that. I wouldn't mind living there at all. Row houses galore!

Then our Saturday schedule, when we get back from Eastern Market, is to head to Target and Giant (grocery store). We are done with our 3 "errands" by 4 to 5 o'clock. Yes it takes us all day to run 3 errands. Those of you NOT living in the "city" celebrate driving your own car at your own pace to just buy your toilet paper. Its not 5 Metro stops away after a transfer from the green/yellow at L'Efant plaza to the blue/orange. Then hauling your crap back home.

(I have to stop right here and say that I'm sorry to be so negative. I REALLY am loving it here. Its just really different and I am aware of all of the things I have taken for granted in the past, and am trying to share my experience with others. DC is a beautiful city and it continues to take my breath away daily.)

Before we left for Target, Randy decided to check his voicemail on his work phone. One of the guys he works with had left a message. He said that he and his wife were "driving into the DC" and would we like to meet them to see a movie and / or a drink at a place he called the "gin joint."

If anyone knows me, you know that I am so very uncomfortable with spontaneity! But those of you who know (and love) me, would have been so proud. I broke loose and said, heck ya! Lets do it.

We were to meet them at an old theater. Not an IMAX, no plush seating. Just one screen in the whole theater showing one Movie! They are showing Inception. We were so very early, that we found a cute little Irish pub in the Cleveland Park neighborhood. NOW, I had found my NEW favorite neighborhood. Cleveland Park. So very cute. Saabs, Mercedes, and Lexus galore. So not for me, but very cute.

Yum!

Then we met Phil and Nancy for the Movie. It was really, a good movie. I recommend it. Let me know if you go see it. I'd love to talk to you about it. See what you think was going on!

Then we were off to the "Gin Joint" ( New Heights Gin Joint). WHO KNEW!!! There are a ton of different kinds of gin. I thought there was Bombay Sapphire and Tanquaray. NO!!! There are a gazillion kinds of different gin. I recommend G-Vines. I only tasted 4 of the 30 different kinds that were served there.We had so much fun that we will be going back Wednesday for Randy's Birthday. If you know (and love) me, you know that I love Juniper Berries. I had no idea! I will have to be spontaneous more often! I had so so much fun all because I was spontaneous and took a leap!

Tomorrow is Amos Lee!

1 comment:

  1. You are right about the Holocaust Museum being designed to give you the feeling of being on the trains to Auschwitz. At least, the elevators are. The purposely made them too small so that you would be packed on there. This information comes straight from the Holocaust Museum's exhibit designers. Also, the Holocaust Museum is not a Smithsonian Museum. It is free, but required the timed ticket to get in because so many people want to get in there (as you saw.)

    ReplyDelete