Friday, August 6, 2010

DC day 45

Today is (was?) my last Friday in DC. When I found out that I was accepted to the Master's program, I had to cut my trip short by 3 days. It became DC in 47 days. Not DC in the 50 days I originally thought. I knew that before I left, I knew that I had to see the Monuments by night.

So tonight was a walk around the monuments for 3 hours. It was SO beautiful. My only complaint were all the DAMN tourists. The amount of people in this city (as I have said before) kinda creeps me out. They are rude and stupid and, basically, tourists. I did get to hear a family speaking French tonight. This is the first time I have heard French. I have heard Spanish (duh!), some German-type, some Eastern-block-type, Italian-type etc. But tonight was the first time I heard something that sounded French!

Anyway...Sunset was at 8:15 so we set off at 7:00. Mostly, because I was bored but off we went. Since it was dark, and I was stuck with my iPhone camera, the pics are really bad. But, that's why you have me....I will tell you what you are seeing in the photos! This is a picture of a black squirrel. He (she) was playing with your average, normal, run-of-the-mill brown squirrel. But you can see, the black thingy in the photo???? Its a black squirrel. I have never seen a black squirrel. Anyone????? Ever???


This is the first picture I have taken of the White House. The crane looks like its above the White House, but fear not...its really blocks away.
So who knew there was an Albert Einstein monument? Really? Well, I sat on Einstein's lap. How many people can say that? It a really cool monument. Constellations placed in the granite below his feet. He is wearing sandals, and on the tablet are 3 equations. If you want to know what they are, let me know. I'm sure you can guess one of the 3, at least.
We walked from the Einstein to the Vietnam, to the Nurse's then on to the Korean. I must say that, the Korean is still my favorite. It is surreal in the day, at night, in the Summer, Winter, Fall. It is my favorite.

Then it was 10:30 and I was sinking. We walked down Pennsylvania. This last picture is the White House from the other direction. Walking down the Middle of the Street is the best. (Rouge Segway riders excluded!) They are very quiet and you had better look behind you before you change directions....I'm just saying. What a beautiful night. Its sad to think, this time next week, I'll be sleeping in a hotel in Las Cruses makes me .....well, never mind.

On a brighter note......as you may or may not know, I spent almost $1200 dollars on books for my first semester of grad school. This has traumatized me. But the brighter note is this.. 14 of the 17 books have been shipped! woohoo. AND...Jessie told me that my first book was delivered to the house today! I'm on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment